Skip to main content

Calling All Young Writers: Dream Keepers Fall 2014 Schedule


Dear Super Writers,

We had a great summer of Super Reader writing workshops. We wrote super hero six-word stories, super hero sagas, and imagined many ways that super readers could defeat Dr. Brain Drain! We also thought up our own super powers. Most of us agreed that reading and writing ranked high on our list of fantastic, brain-drain defeating super powers.

I'm delighted to announce a whole bunch of fun fall writing workshops at a variety of Milwaukee Public Libraries. Open up your imaginations and join me. Together we'll write, draw, glue, and write some more. 

Rochelle,
the Super Writer!


Art and Poetry For students who love to create with both pictures and words, this workshop will provide you with wonderful inspiration from the world of picture books and art. Write your poems in reaction to famous works of art. Create art to accompany your favorite words. And learn how to make art with words.

September 15, 22, 29 
King Library
4:00-5:00 PM
310 W. Locust Street








Dream Keeper Writing Circle Calling all young writers (ages 9-13)! The Dream Keeper Writing Circle will give you the opportunity to work on your writing project and share it with other young writers. Students will spend the first part of the session writing, with writing prompts and encouragement from author and writing coach Rochelle Melander. During the second half of the session, students will share these stories with each other, learning how to listen for key story elements and give helpful feedback.

October 6, November 3, December 1
Capitol Library
4:00-5:00 PM
3969 N. 74th Street


October: Boo! Scary Stories Can you tell a scary in six words? Have you ever written a ghost story? This class will give students the opportunity to invent monsters and villains and put them into scary poems and stories. Come for one day and write a short scary story or attend all four and create a book of terrifying tales.

October 7, 14, 21, 2014
Villard Square Library
4:00-5:00 PM
5190 N 35th Street

October 13, 2014
Atkinson Library
4:00-5:00 PM
1960 W. Atkinson Avenue


November: National Novel Writing Month at Milwaukee Public Library Come write a short novel for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Over the course of four days, students will create characters, dream up a setting, craft a plot, and write a novella (that’s a really short novel). Students are welcome to come for single days and participate in a part of the process or do the whole thing and write a big ol' novella!

November 4, 11, 18, 2014
Forest Home Library
4:00-5:00 PM
1432 W. Forest Home Avenue

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Beauty

Last night we read poems and essays about beauty in the book edited by Iris Jacob called, My Sister's Voices: Teenage Girls of Color Speak Out. The girls wrote poems in response.  Standards of Beauty by Natalie Branch I’m that girl who never fits in. I’m not fat nor am I thin. I’m an African American with light skin. When I walk out the house, I’m full of curiosity— Not knowing what others will think of me. Some may be jealous, others furious. Me, I’m just curious. My confidence isn’t low; it’s not high either. My emotions are building up—like a deadly fever. People like me because of who I am. People hate me because I’m not like them. Sometimes I ask myself: should I stay the same, or become someone else? That’s something you will never again hear me say. People say change, but I stay the same. I am me, and I was born this way. And this is how I will stay. Yo! I’m sayin’! by Deanna Branch Q: Why you wear yo’ hair like that? Yo! I’m sayin, My hairstyle reflects my personality. When...

Dream Keepers Dreaming

On Monday night, I brought a fun exercise for the Dream Keepers. I gave them a version of the Best Possible Self exercise found in several psychology studies (Laura King, Sonja Lyubomirsky, et. al.): "Imagine yourself a year from now. You have worked hard. Everything has gone as well as possible. Tell me what your life looks like. What have you accomplished? What do you do with your days? What is new in your life?" This was not a new exercise to the group. We had done a variation of this more than a year ago. The Dream Keepers looked like I'd asked them to eat brussels sprouts. Or write a novel in 30 days. Actually, when I shared with them my wild and crazy dream that we'd write a book together, they embraced it. "No problem!" one shouted. "Even if it's long? Like 200 pages?" I asked. They shrugged, undaunted by the idea. BUT THIS! Imagine their best possible future selves? Too hard, they whined. I tried again. I invited the Dream Keepers to cr...

Six-word Scary Stories

We've done six-word memoirs. Tonight the Dream Keepers wrote six-word scary stories. Read and enjoy! (Then write and submit your own in the comment field!) A vampire destroys the city with power. —Tramonta Garner (pictured above) One virus. One town. No survivors. —Jaimee Bogard-LaMar, 14 One girl. Many monsters. What's next? —Jaimee Bogard-LaMar, 14 Big zombie eats eyeballs. City blind. —Elisha Branch, 14 One house. One family. Both gone. —Elisha Branch, 14 Knock, knock. Who's there? Killer mysterious. —Derranesha, 12 Baby cries. No answer. What happens? —Derranesha, 12 Ring, ring. "Hello." Please help me. —April, 12 The spooky monster ran towards me ... —Sonya, 17 The worm crawls into the brain. —Sierra The slippery, slimy monster grabs two. —Quintoya Eskridge